Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy. It is the quintessential summer blockbuster crowd-pleaser did-you-see-what-just-happened major event film. And so quotable. Infinitely quotable. So good, I’m going again.
To the list…
Guardians of the Galaxy (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
Directed by James Gunn
Written by James Gunn & Nicole Perlman
My Top Ten Favorite Things about Guardians of the Galaxy:
10. It is funny. It is funny, from (almost) the beginning until the end. It is, at its heart, a comedy. A very funny movie.
9. The First Scene. The first scene is the second most heart wrenching scene in Marvel movies. (the first one being Magneto separated from him mother at that concentration camp in one of the X-men films). After that, however, it is a hysterically funny movie. It was the perfect way to start a comedy… by pulling the audience’s heart out through their chest.
8. Rocket. Rocket Raccoon makes this movie great. He’s just a little wise-cracking badass who likes to blow shit up… and that’s just awesome.
7. The Movie is Very Funny. It is, in fact, the second funniest movie I’ve seen all year. (after The Lego Movie) Guardians of the Galaxy made my sides hurt.
6. Nova Core. I collected Nova comics growing up. (from the first issue) So it was fun seeing them in action.
5. Groot. Groot is beautiful. Groot is a gorgeous creature. I knew NOTHING about Guardians going into the theater. Groot is amazing. I love Groot. Groot is my boy.
4. Casting. The entire cast is fantastic. (especially Chris Pratt. Who knew that guy was a star?) Lee Pace as the baddie and Karen Gillan (who freaking disappears into her role) as his sidekick are exceptional. And Michael Rooker… Michael Rooker is outstanding.
3. Badassness. There is a lot of bad-ass-ness in Guardians of the Galaxy. So many of the characters are just basically badasses. It boasts an abundance of badass.
2. The Music. Not just the music but what the music represents… to the movie and to the characters. It is the best use of music in a movie soundtrack that I have seen in a long time. Star Lord’s Walkman is one of the film’s main characters.
and the number one thing…
1. The Movie is Very Fucking Funny. That’s right. I said it before and I’m saying it again. Funny action. Funny fights. Funny dialogue. Funny characters. Funny situations. There are so many jokes in this movie that you miss a few while you’re laughing. I think what I’m trying to say is Guardians of the Galaxy is hilariously funny.
So, I liked it. And I’m not a big James Gunn fan. I think the dude is over-rated. But this is his best and I hope they give him the Howard movie (oh right… spoiler alert). Because that is right up his alley.